Monday, April 12, 2010

Timing is Everything

Some days I really wonder about timing. 


There's the good timing like when I call a friend up and she say, "Oh hello! I was just thinking about you." To myself I think, "My timing's on the ball to day." 


Then there's the not good timing. I have some dear friends who only call me when I'm in the bathroom. I have one friend who I haven't heard from in months but the only time she ever calls me or returns my calls is right after I've closed the bathroom door. How does she have this kind of phenomenal timing?! I have two other friends who always seem to know when I just gotten in the shower because that is the precise moment they both have to text me urgent, time sensitive questions. They also have special ringtones on my phone so for several minutes during my intended long, relaxing shower I get to hear these ringtones go from unique/funny to obnoxious as the Texting Derby continues.


Under the premise of When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Lemonade I have considered making special ringtones for my habitual bathroom callers. Maybe I could make ringtones from bits of Bohemian Rhapsody or various woodland creatures chirping and hooting. At least then I can be entertained by what amounts to the strangest of harmless coincidences. ;)


Why do I even take my phone into the bathroom with me if I have no intention of answering it? I have slipped and fallen in the bathroom more times than I care to admit and have this fear that one day I'm going to fallen with extraordinary aplomb. Taking my phone is my, "Help! I've fallen and can't get up!" insurance. The downside to my plan seems to be that I am forever fated to never get to enjoy peace and quiet in my Sanctuary of Solitude.

4 comments:

  1. There is the option of not answering your phone and/or putting the phone on silent when you go into the bathroom. Since you take it with you for safety reasons, not social issues. Your friends will go directly to voice mail and, hopefully, leave you a message. Or, the text messages will be there whenever you check your messages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually answer my phone in the bathroom except when a certain person calls me from inside her car parked in the carport asking me to round up the Brute Squad to unload her car from the day's Hunting & Gathering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is as it should be. Hunting up and down the aisles at Wal-mart, avoiding the rampaging, good ol' boys looking for things in all the wrong aisles, standing stockstill while kids careen around me while running away from their jailers, giving professional advice on which yoghurt will "get things moving," charming tall people to reach up to the top shelf to get things for me, IS NOT EASY. Then after all that, finding out there is a day and a half wait at the check-out counter to the give them my pound of flesh, excuse me, pay for everything, and lug and load it all into sauna-formerly-known-as-car is NOT FOR COWARDS.

    The least any of the hunter's children can do is shlep the shlock into the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Mother. It's good to see that in your advanced years you are in no way running short on Jewish Mother Guilt or any variation of it.

    ReplyDelete